Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 9

Hello....

Is there anybody out there?

Is anyone still alive?

It's been nine days since the incident.  I really don't know what to call it.  I guess I could just call it an "outbreak" since that's what the news or movies would have called it.  In any case, this has been the first day that I have tried getting close enough to the city.  I really wanted to get on the internet so that I could figure out what happened, but was afraid to get anywhere close to civilization.  Now that I can actually get online, it seems like the internet froze in time.

My wife and I have been at sea for the past nine days.  We barely made it out of the city when the outbreak happened.  I really have no clue on how to sail this thing and I dinged the hell out of it.  My father-in-law is going to be pissed (that's if he's still alive.)

We're lucky because we have enough fuel on the boat to last us for several months if we don't sail very far.  The fuel also keeps the generator and the water desalination system running, meaning that we won't run out of fresh water anytime soon.  I also wanted to get an internet connection so that I can learn how to distill water in order to preserve some fuel.  And lastly, we have enough food in the freezer to keep us alive for at least a month.  We are still unsure about fishing since we don't know if the virus/fungus/bacterium or whatever it is that's making people crazy will affect the fish.  In any case, I suck at fishing, so hopefully the internet can teach me.

About that; while the internet is working fine right now, I wonder how long it will take before the power supplies start running out.  At that point, I won't have access to ISP's or anything else for that matter.  That's really why I wanted to get close to the city, even though it was pretty risky.  I want to download as much information as I can before the internet runs out.  I also wanted to see if there are any survivors.  As far as I can tell, there are none or they can't get internet access.

If anyone is still out there, please reply to this message.  I need to know what's going on and what I can do to help.

It was really weird not seeing any cool fireworks on the 4th of July.  I wouldn't call the explosions and gun shots cool.